TURNING  100 IN 2019  !!

          HISTORY UNIT         


 Updated  27 July 2015

    School under construction in 1919 


Lieutenant Langford, as he became upon taking up his post as officer in charge of recruitment at St Kilda Road barracks, on return to Australia in March 1916.  Mr Langford had been evacuated to Alexandria from Gallipoli with typhoid fever, spending four months there before being strong enough to make the trip home.  He travelled on the troop ship Suffolk. He had also been previously evacuated to Malta in late June 1915, with shell-fire deafness, returning to the trenches 6 weeks later.


 Click to enlarge above images: This is the display at the State Library during 2015,  for the centenary of WW1, in which the photo at left (made available by University High School)  was featured.


On 22 June 2018, our President, Greta Jungwirth, took delivery of the long-awaited suite of  timber archival cabinets.  This had, in large part,  been made possible through the provision of a grant from the Department of Veterans' Affairs, through the Centenary of Gallipoli Commemorations program. 

Our school more than amply qualified, through its school colours being those of our first Headmaster, Percy Langford's 4th Lighthorse Regiment.  Mr Langford had served in Gallipoli. The school itself was first conceived during the early years of WW1, and more recently, the Ex-Students' Association co-funded a stained glass window (the Window Linking the Past & Present) in the main entrance, which also makes symbolic connection between our school and Mr Langford's old Regiment.

Another view of the cabinets, this time showing  the impressive bank of display cases and map drawers.





Bronwyn Mutton (nee Howie, competed form 6 in 1963) pictured at the school on 23 November, 2012, when she returned to generously donate her old uniform  to the archive collection. Bronwyn also donated a large number of origiinal photos,.both of  her own time at DHS, but also many from her mother Ruth Howie, who was a staff member at the school from the mid fifties to 1963. Bronwyn is seen here 'modelling' some of the items she has given to the Association.



The "Bristol Unit", originally erected across the open northern end of the quagrangle, in 1952.  It was moved to make way for the library, and finally removed from the property in 2010, to allow construction of the new 'SWIS' buildings..



The History Unit was formed by a small, but dedicated group of volunteer ex-students, some years ago. It meets on a regular basis to catalogue DHS memorabilia on behalf of the school, and also produces special displays for particular events, such as major anniversaries and reunions.

The collection includes a comprehensive catalogue  of school photographs, and a growing 'wardrobe' of old uniforms from a range of former eras.



 OUR PROUDEST POSESSION CURRENTLY, IS THE RECENT DIGITISING OF WHAT WE THINK** IS THE ENTIRE COLLECTION OF "GATE" MAGAZINES, SINCE THE FIRST ONE WAS PUBLISHED, IN 1927. This resource will have lasting benefits in enabling much easier research of people and events, as well as simplifying its reproduction in response to members and ex-students' needs..



 Committee members George Gill, Ruby Constable, Gail Saddler, and President Greta Jungwirth examining new inclusions for the photo collection.




Since the establishment of our new research room, there has been an encouraging interest from staff and students, whether individually, or from whole classes,  in wishing to access the records, particularly the photograph collection, as part of their classwork.  With all the Gate magazines now stored electronically, this is proving a valuable and simple way to give a an overhead screen presentation of the many changes that have occurred throughout the school over the past nine decades.



All research enquiries and minor copying requests are carried out free of cost to members, with nominal charges applying for non-members.         _____________________________________________________________________________________




The archive collection is now housed in a specially allocated room in the old "Langford" building, which is also the Association's workroom  for its regular working bees, as well as for monthly Committee meetings . The items, documents and photographs have been collected and donated by the school and ex-students over the years, before being collated into what has become a very valuable record of DHS, as well an increasingly popular tool of research.



 Association Historian, Dawn Harris, and President Greta Jungwirth planning the next archiving session.



Additionally, during a number of months, beginning  in 2013, archival records relating to the former Dandenong Girls Secondary School and its successor, the former Cleeland Secondary College, have been collated by a small but enthusiastic team, representing DHS and the two other schools.  These records have been separately stored in preparation for the hoped-for formation of another 'Chapter' of the Association, which would be responsible for servicing any queries relating to them.

A similar  project,relating to the former Doveton Secondary College records was undertaken by the same group in 2014.  This work has already proved to be of great use, with a number of queries for photos etc from past students now able to be satisfied.


Catalogue and index new material;

Research and respond to steady stream of enquiries;

Regularly update the display cabinet, perhaps focusing on a particular decade or event  in the school's or nation;s life, eg, ANZAC Day;

(The school's 90th Anniversary was celebrated with a comprehensive "gallery" display of photoographs and artefacts, depicting the school's history across the nine decades.)

 The History Unit is always pleased to receive material relating to the school's history,particularly early photographs.


Make a free website with Yola